One thing that I love about FireFox is it’s vast library of add-ons. Not only does Mozilla provide an easy to search online repository of add-ons, but installing add-ons with FireFox is easy as three clicks. Although there are many useful add-on, there are also quite a few of not so useful add-ons – So I thought that I would share some of the add-ons that I commonly use.
- Clipmarks – Allows you to save sections of a page, without having to book mark the entire page. Useful for saving sections of a blog or news article. *requires registration
- CSSViewer – A Simple CSS Property viewer. Provides a great, web 2.0 looking, floating window that displays CSS Information about the item your cursor is currently over.
- Dog Ears – Mark important parts of a webpage to easily relocate them. Lets you dog-ear long pages, with persistent marks, so that you can skip straight to those marks the next time you return to that page.
- FasterFox – Performance and Network tweaks for FireFox. I would recommend that you lower the performance increase back from “Turbo Charged” to at least “Optimized”, to help prevent overloading web servers.
- FlashGot – Download helper for FireFox. Absolute must have, especially if you have a download manager.
- GoogCal – A very simple add-on which lets you add a Google Calendar button to your toolbar.
- Locationbar – Changes the look of your location bar by putting emphasis on the domain.
- PDF Download – Allows you to choose if you want to view a PDF inside the browser, as a PDF or as HTML, or in your default PDF application. Another must have.
- Resizeable Form Fields – Lets you click and drag form fields to increase, or decrease, their size.
- Tab Scope – Shows a thumbnail preview of your tabs, when you hover over a tab.
- View Formatted Source – Displays formatted and color-coded source and CSS information for elements. Great for reading messy or long html source.
- Zotero – Helps you collect and manage citation information. Great if you’re doing research or you frequently require saving citation information.
One of your favourite add-ons not in the list? Post a comment with the add-ons you use.